1. What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession that helps you recover from injury, reduces pain and stiffness and increase mobility
2. Do I need a doctor’s referral?
You do not need a doctor’s referral unless you are on workcover, a war veteran or you are referred through a medicare program
3. What treatments do physiotherapists use?
The following are common treatment methods used by physiotherapists:
- Joint manipulation or mobilization
- Soft tissue techniques (massage, trigger point therapy, deep tissue massage etc)
- Customised gym, hydrotherapy or home based exercise programs that you can use on your own
- Acupuncture and/or dry needling
- Electrotherapy, ultrasound, laser and other modalities to assist in pain relief and recovery from injuries
Physiotherapy is also very beneficial if you have had recent surgery and need to recover your normal function
4. How may treatments will I need?
This will depend on the nature of your injury and how long you have had the condition. Usually, you can expect improvement
within three sessions, but you may need more sessions if your injury or condition is chronic or severe.